Can You Wash a 10.5 Tog Duvet in a 8KG Washing Machine?
When it comes to washing your duvet you may feel unsure of how to proceed. It really is not that complicated and we are here to help you figure it out.
In this article, we will teach you the best way to wash your duvet.
How big is a 10.5 tog duvet?
Tog ratings simply refer to a duvet’s ability to retain heat. The higher the tog rating the more warmth you will keep trapped underneath it and the lower the tog rating the cooler you will be under your duvet.
Tog simply stands for Thermal Overall Grade.
Tog ratings range from the lightest 1 tog duvets up to the more insulated 16.5 tog duvets.
Tog does not necessarily decide how thick a duvet is. This only works if you are comparing two duvets that contain the same filling.
Different fillings have different thermal qualities and this means that where you might have two duvets one 10.5 tog and one 7.5 tog. You might assume that the 10.5 tog duvet would be thicker but if the 10.5 tog duvet is made with hollow fibre and the 7.5 tog duvet is made with down the opposite could actually be true.
So remember that a higher tog does not necessarily mean a thicker duvet and a thicker duvet does not necessarily mean a warmer one.
Is it OK to wash a duvet in a washing machine?
The first thing that you should do when deciding that it is time to wash your duvet is read the care label. This will tell you whether or not it is machine washable.
Pre-treating stains by applying distilled vinegar is a great thing to do before you put your duvet in the washing machine.
So, if it is machine washable how should you do it?
Simply put your duvet inside the washing machine separate from everything else in your laundry.
Wash the duvet using a warm water setting on a gentle spin cycle.
Once you have washed your duvet you need to make sure it dries fully. The best way to do this is to hang it either in a well-ventilated place indoors or out in the fresh air.
You should avoid putting your duvet to dry on a radiator as this will create moisture which can encourage the growth of mildew and mould in your home.
If your duvet is king size or super king size then you may find that it does not fit inside your home washing machine. If these circumstances you should take your duvet to be washed at a laundrette as they will have larger washing machines that your duvet will fit inside of.
Will my duvet fit inside my washing machine?
This honestly depends. Not only on the tog rating of your duvet but what size it is too.
As a rough guide 7kg washing machines tend o be able to cope with a double 10 tog duvet. So if you have a 10.5 tog duvet and an 8kg washing machine it will likely fit unless it is kingsize or super king size.
As long as your duvet has plenty of space, for the water and whatever cleaning product you use to get through it and properly wash it, it fits.
How else can you wash your duvet?
If the care label on your duvet says that it should not be machine washed then you will want to hand wash it.
To hand wash your duvet you should:
- Check the duvet’s care label to see if hand washing is acceptable.
- Fill your bathtub with warm water and add washing powder or a mild laundry detergent.
- Place the duvet into the bathwater.
- Gently knead the duvet with your hands, to clean the dirt away.
- Don’t scrub or wring the duvet harshly, as this can wrinkle the material or damage the filling inside.
- Rinse and repeat as necessary.
- Drain the bathwater and give the duvet a final rinse.
- Roll and un-roll the duvet to squeeze the excess water out.
- Allow the duvet to dry fully, outdoors in the fresh air, before using or storing it.
- As you dry the duvet, check that the filling has not been re-distributed to different parts.
Tips to keep your bedding fresh:
To keep your bedding fresh before wash day arrives, follow our handy tips below:
- When you wake up in the morning, don’t make your bed right away. Instead, peel back the duvet to air it out, as this will allow any moisture to escape.
- Change your bedding at least once a week.
- Open your bedroom windows regularly, to allow fresh air in.
- Hoover your bedroom before you strip your bed. If you strip your bed near a dusty floor, then the dust mites will land all over the bedding.
- Wipe down your bed frame, headboard and bedside cabinet at least once a week.
- If any condensation builds on your bedroom windows, wipe this away, to prevent mould build-up.
- Pre-treat any stains in your duvet before it goes into the washing machine.
- Avoid eating or drinking while in bed, as this will create crumbs and spillages in your bed.
- Take a shower and wash your face before you go to bed.
- Never go to sleep with wet hair. The dampness of your hair can encourage the growth of harmful bacteria, mould and bacteria.
- Wear clean pyjamas to bed.
- Try not to wear your outdoor clothing while sitting or laying in bed.
- Don’t allow pets to sleep on your bed, or limit the time they can spend time there.
- Invest in a mattress protector, to keep the mattress in new condition for longer and prevent dust mites from getting into your bed.
300 Thread Dobby White All Seasons Duvet 10.5 Tog
Stay warm and cosy with our supremely comfy Dobby duvet
Think all winter duvets are the same? It’s time to rethink that. Our 300 Thread Dobby Duvet is a high-end masterpiece with a beautiful dobby design on the cover. This is made on the dobby loom to give it a subtle texture and softness.
The filling is a polyester hollowfibre specially chosen because it’s air-permeable. This allows air and moisture to pass through – an important characteristic for winter duvets to stop you from overheating and getting a sweat on.
The 100% cotton cover has a 300 thread count. This means we pack 300 threads into every square inch. This creates a soft, compliant duvet that feels divine. Combine it with our lofty, lightweight filling and you have the winter duvet of your dreams.
Indulge in pure luxury and enjoy the best night’s sleep
Dobby fabric has a subtle diagonal weave that’s supremely soft. It’s perfect for duvets because it creates a texture that’s comforting and refined. Many people prefer having a little texture on their duvet to it being completely smooth.
The materials in our 300 Thread Dobby Duvet are naturally hypoallergenic but we have also treated the duvet with an anti-allergy and anti-mite treatment. This will help to fend off your allergies and give you the best night’s sleep.
Our dobby winter duvet is available in 13.5 to 15 togs in single, double, king and super king sizes. Choose the size right for your bed and a tog you’re comfortable with. A higher tog is recommended for cool sleepers and vice versa.
Bedding Comfort Store
We hope we have answered the question ‘What tog duvet is lightest?’ and helped you to find the perfect duvet for you.
At Bedding Comfort Store, we are one of the UK’s leading suppliers of bedding.
We sell duvets, pillows, bedding sets, mattress toppers, mattress protectors, cushions, nursery bedding, fabric, upholstery & insulation and towels.
Read more articles on Bedding Comfort Store’s blog here.
Click here to browse our collection of Summer Duvets.