Is 7.5 Tog Ok for Summer?
With winter soon coming to an end, temperatures will rise as spring and summer take effect. It is important to change your bedding in accordance to stay comfortable and avoid overheating.
After all, the summer of 2022 saw an intense heatwave, with record-breaking temperatures as high as 40.3C in the UK.
In this article, we at Bedding Comfort Store will be answering the question “Is 7.5 tog OK for summer?” Whilst providing the information you may need in order to have the right bedding you can snuggle up in.
What is a tog rating?
A tog rating is a rating which describes the level of heat retention in a duvet. Tog rating range from 1 to 15. With 1 being the lowest level of heat retention and 15 being the highest. So understandably the higher tog duvet you choose, the warmer you will be, which may present a problem for some during the summer months.
Can’t I just keep the same duvet all year round?
Although this is an option, it isn’t recommended. Using the same duvet all year round can lead to discomfort in warmer months if your duvet has a high tog rating (and vice-versa in the winter with a low tog duvet.)
Additionally, sweat, dead skin cells and multiple things from day-to-day life can accumulate in our duvet, and with the average person spending 26 years of their life asleep, it can’t be understated how important having clean bedding and duvets are.
Using a V-Pillow in the summer
Maybe the heat isn’t your issue when sleeping, maybe it’s just a case of posture, whatever the time of year, a V-pillow could be the key to a relaxing and unwinding sleep.
V-Pillows can be one part of the puzzle for you to get a good nights rest, sometimes the tog of your duvet can also be a defining factor, as you may end up being too cold or hot to sleep. But it does not stop there, at Bedding Comfort Store we know how deeply your sleep environment can affect you. Here are some other things you can consider to help you sleep.
- Are duvets changed and cleaned regularly? Not cleaning regularly can lead to musty smells, build up of bacteria, dustmites and sweat patches on your bedding. All getting in the way of you trying to sleep.
- Avoid eating a large meal at least 2-3 hours before sleep. Your body is actively trying to digest food if you eat straight before you sleep. This can end up preventing you from sleeping.
- Avoid bright lights from electronics at least an hour before sleeping, this includes phone and laptop screens! If unavoidable, consider using ‘night mode’ screen transitions, creating a warmer tint on screens.
- If able to, keep your bedroom as a separate space only for sleeping, reading and relaxing. Try not to work or have distractions in your room such as a TV, gaming console or laptop/computer.
- Avoid caffeine and sugar before sleeping. Fizzy drinks, coffee, and sweets will make it harder for you to feel tired.
- Use the toilet before getting into bed. Your bowels are going to be more tense if holding in a bowel movement whilst trying to sleep. The best way to sleep is not to have any tension in your body.
- Keep your phone on silent or switched off, away from your bedside. Ideally you should put your phone somewhere where you have to get up and walk to it, preferably in another room. This will make you less likely to scroll through your apps when you should be trying to sleep.
- Consider buying earplugs or a sleepmask if your vision or hearing makes you a light sleeper.
- Establish a set bed time, and set time to awake, along with a routine to help your mind ease into knowing its time to sleep.
- Some essential oils ran through a diffuser offer sleep promoting properties, one example being lavender oil.
Is 7.5 tog OK for summer?
Though a 7.5 tog may seem like the optimum choice for the summer months, depending on the size of your home/room, insulation and other factors, it may not be appropriate.
However, for those who get hot easily at night in the summer months, or if your room gets especially hot in the summer months, our lightweight duvets are here for you. Take a look at our Summer Duvets Collection here at Bedding Comfort Store
Ranging from 1.0 to 4.5 Tog, our Summer Duvets will keep you cool during those muggy nights, without compromising on the coverage you still need for sleep.
Below, we have highlighted some of our options in our Summer Duvets Collection, but you can browse the full range here:
Virgin Egyptian cotton summer duvet – 1.5 tog
Our Virgin Egyptian Cotton Summer Duvet 1.5 Tog is a cooling duvet which is perfect for the hottest nights, so you don’t wake up in a pool of your own sweat!
This lovely duvet features a hollowfibre filling to make it incredibly light, airy and breathable.
There is also a luxurious organic cotton cover with a high thread count, made with thin cotton yarns woven tightly together, to create a smooth, durable fabric.
Naturally hypoallergenic, this duvet is ideal for people with allergies, asthma or skin conditions alongside those who get extremely hot in the summer nights.
Luxury hotel collection supremely washable summer duvet – 3 tog
Our Luxury Hotel Collection Supremely Washable Summer Duvet 3 Tog is a premium duvet which offers comfort, breathability, and cooling properties during those hot nights.
This duvet is good enough for hotel guests, which means it is good enough for your home!
The polyester-cotton cover is puncture and fray resistant, with overlocked edges, so the filling can’t escape, or harbour bacteria.
Even though the materials are naturally hypoallergenic, we have gone one step further by treating the duvet for anti-allergy, anti-mite and anti-bacteria for superior hygiene.
The amazing thing about this duvet is that it is super easy to clean and take care of: we tested our hotel duvet over hundreds of wash cycles at 60°C and 90°C, and the duvet still looks as good as new!
Quality soft touch anti-allergenic summer duvet – 4.5 tog
We particularly enjoy our Quality Soft Touch Anti-Allergenic Summer Duvet 4.5 Tog for the summer season.
The breathability and loftiness of this duvet will help you stay cool, allowing you to sleep well when the temperature soars.
This duvet is naturally hypoallergenic, but we have treated it with anti-mite and anti-bacterial growth, to fend off those allergens that cause sneezing, itchy eyes and a scratchy throat.
What’s more, the microfibre cover is soft and plush enough so you can use your new duvet without a cover (as many people do on the warmest nights).
What tog duvet should a child have?
For children over the age of 3, we recommend a duvet between 4.5 togs and 7.5 togs, depending on the season. During the summer months, a 7.5 tog duvet will be too hot for a child, so swap this out for a smaller Tog rating.
As your children grow older, you may have to make adjustments to their bedding, so that they are comfortable throughout all seasons. Look for the following key criteria in each duvet:
- Machine washable duvets will be ideal, as your child’s bed will be prone to accidents and spillages.
- A hypoallergenic duvet is a wonderful option for children, to prevent dust mites, bacteria and mould from entering their systems and help relieve them of sniffles and allergies.
- A soft, lightweight duvet will be comfortable for the skin and prevent your child from overheating.
Children who are 3 years old or over should have a duvet with a tog rating of 4.5 or less. Young kids need a light duvet because they cannot yet regulate their body temperature.
Click here to shop our collection of Nursery Bedding, where we offer a range of bed accessories to allow your child to have the best night’s sleep.
Contact Bedding Comfort Store
At Bedding Comfort Store, we are one of the UK’s leading suppliers of bedding.
Read more articles on Bedding Comfort Store’s blog here. We hope to have answered the question “Is 7.5 tog OK for summer?”
We hope this article has provided the answer to the question ‘what is the lightest duvet for summer?’