What Duvet Is Best for Hot Sleepers?
The summer of 2022 saw an intense heatwave, with record-breaking temperatures as high as 40.3C in the UK.
In this article, we at Bedding Comfort Store will be answering the question “What duvet is best for hot sleepers?” Whilst providing the information you may need in order to have the right bedding you can snuggle up in.
For those who get too hot when trying to sleep, or for those who are preparing for hot summer nights, understanding what duvet is best for hot sleepers is invaluable, that is why we are here to help.
Effects of hot sleeping environments
An effect of having a hot sleep environment can be night sweats.
Night sweats can be uncomfortable and awkward, but there is nothing to be ashamed of if this happens. Research has shown that around 8% to 22% of people who take antidepressants have night sweats.
One way to prevent the severity of night sweats is to make sure your bedding is cooling and comfortable.
In this article, we will explain what are the best duvets for night sweats and we will recommend our best tips to enjoy a good night’s sleep if this happens.
What are night sweats?
Night sweats are characterised by excessive perspiration or sweating during sleep. The sweat might be heavy enough to soak the person’s pyjamas and bedding.
This may occur due to:
- very hot weather
- low blood sugar
- hyperhidrosis (excessive sweating)
- a medical condition
- a hormone disorder
- a sleep disorder
- as a side effect of medication (such as antidepressants, psychiatric drugs and medicines taken to reduce fever)
- alcohol abuse or drug misuse (especially the use of heroin)
Explaining tog ratings
A tog rating is a rating which describes the level of heat retention in a duvet. Tog rating range from 1 to 15. With 1 being the lowest level of heat retention and 15 being the highest. So understandably the higher tog duvet you choose, the warmer you will be, which may present a problem for some during the summer months.
What if I use the same duvet all year?
We have various types of All-seasons duvets that you can use throughout the year and feature different togs such as 7.5 tog and 10.5 tog. In addition, we also stock 2 in 1 duvets where you can add or remove to the duvet to create your own togs all year round.
Although it is important to wash your duvet regularly as sweat, dead skin cells and multiple things from day-to-day life can accumulate in our duvet, and with the average person spending 26 years of their life asleep, it can’t be understated how important having clean bedding and duvets are.
What if I’m still too hot with a light duvet?
Are you still getting too hot even though you have a low tog duvet? Here are some tips you can use to help you cool down and save valuable hours of sleep!
- Choose lightweight, breathable bedding materials and pyjamas, such as cotton and linen. These are naturally breathable, cooling, and moisture-wicking, making them a safe choice for people who sweat a lot at night.
- Invest in a cooling mattress topper, to reduce the temperature of the surface of your bed.
- Use one or more fans to circulate cold air into your bedroom.
- Place a bowl of ice in front of a standing fan, to make the fan breeze even cooler.
- If you have a ceiling fan in your bedroom, make sure it is turning in the correct direction, so you feel the gentle breeze.
- Open your bedroom windows, if it is cold outside.
- Drink plenty of water throughout the day, to stay hydrated and replace the electrolytes lost through sweating.
- Try not to let pets sleep on your bed with you, because this can make you feel hotter at night.
- Refrain from exercising just before bed, as you don’t want to fall asleep flushed and sweaty from the exercise.
- Keep hot electronics (such as your hairdryer, hair straightener and laptop) out of your bed.
- If the weather is really hot, close your bedroom curtains during the day, to keep the heat and sunlight out.
- Take a cool shower before bed, to lower your body temperature.
- Apply ice packs to skin, or dab a wet towel to your skin to cool you down.
- Avoid eating very spicy or heavy meals before bed, because the food that require more effort to digest are thought to generate more body heat.
- Eat cold meals during the day, rather than turning on the oven or hob.
- Cut down on caffeine and alcohol, as these can trigger more sweating.
- Don’t wear tight, restrictive clothing, with poor airflow.
- Speak to your doctor if your night sweats are worsening, or not improving over time. There may be an underlying medical issue which needs addressing.
What Duvet is best for hot sleepers?
For those who get hot easily at night in the summer months, or if your room gets especially hot in the summer months, our lightweight duvets are here for you. Take a look at our Summer Duvets Collection here at Bedding Comfort Store
Ranging from 1.0 to 4.5 Tog, our Summer Duvets will keep you cool during those muggy nights, without compromising on the coverage you still need for sleep.
Below, we have highlighted some of our options in our Summer Duvets Collection, but you can browse the full range here:
Virgin Egyptian cotton summer duvet – 1.5 tog
Our Virgin Egyptian Cotton Summer Duvet 1.5 Tog is a cooling duvet which is perfect for the hottest nights, so you don’t wake up in a pool of your own sweat!
This lovely duvet features a hollowfibre filling to make it incredibly light, airy and breathable.
There is also a luxurious organic cotton cover with a high thread count, made with thin cotton yarns woven tightly together, to create a smooth, durable fabric.
Naturally hypoallergenic, this duvet is ideal for people with allergies, asthma or skin conditions alongside those who get extremely hot in the summer nights.
Luxury hotel collection supremely washable summer duvet – 3 tog
Our Luxury Hotel Collection Supremely Washable Summer Duvet 3 Tog is a premium duvet which offers comfort, breathability, and cooling properties during those hot nights.
This duvet is good enough for hotel guests, which means it is good enough for your home!
The polyester-cotton cover is puncture and fray resistant, with overlocked edges, so the filling can’t escape, or harbour bacteria.
Even though the materials are naturally hypoallergenic, we have gone one step further by treating the duvet for anti-allergy, anti-mite and anti-bacteria for superior hygiene.
The amazing thing about this duvet is that it is super easy to clean and take care of: we tested our hotel duvet over hundreds of wash cycles at 60°C and 90°C, and the duvet still looks as good as new!
Quality soft touch anti-allergenic summer duvet – 4.5 tog
We particularly enjoy our Quality Soft Touch Anti-Allergenic Summer Duvet 4.5 Tog for the summer season.
The breathability and loftiness of this duvet will help you stay cool, allowing you to sleep well when the temperature soars.
This duvet is naturally hypoallergenic, but we have treated it with anti-mite and anti-bacterial growth, to fend off those allergens that cause sneezing, itchy eyes and a scratchy throat.
What’s more, the microfibre cover is soft and plush enough so you can use your new duvet without a cover (as many people do on the warmest nights).
What if my child is a hot sleeper?
For children over the age of 3, we recommend a duvet between 4.5 togs and 7.5 togs, depending on the season.
As your children grow older, you may have to make adjustments to their bedding, so that they are comfortable throughout all seasons. Look for the following key criteria in each duvet:
- Machine washable duvets will be ideal, as your child’s bed will be prone to accidents and spillages.
- A hypoallergenic duvet is a wonderful option for children, to prevent dust mites, bacteria and mould from entering their systems and help relieve them of sniffles and allergies.
- A soft, lightweight duvet will be comfortable for the skin and prevent your child from overheating.
Children who are 3 years old or over should have a duvet with a tog rating of 4.5 or less. Young kids need a light duvet because they cannot yet regulate their body temperature.
Click here to shop our collection of Nursery Bedding, where we offer a range of bed accessories to allow your child to have the best night’s sleep.
Contact Bedding Comfort Store
At Bedding Comfort Store, we are one of the UK’s leading suppliers of bedding.
Read more articles on Bedding Comfort Store’s blog here. We hope to have answered the question “What duvet is best for hot sleepers?”
We hope this article has provided the answer to the question ‘what is the lightest duvet for summer?’